Tuesday, August 17, 2004

So many things have happened....Where to begin?
I went to Mexico. It was fun.
There, that about covers that subject...or not.
Just to document it...During the Mexico trip was the first time I had to ask a guy out. He is 15 and his name is Chris, yeah, he is also kinda cute.
So, I am standing around, being yelled at in English and Spanish, trying to get my group of 20 people to communicate with the people around them. There was one other translator, and his favorite thing to do was to disappear (more on THAT later)
I meet these three girls, they are sweet and nice. Their names were Dulce, Ebet, and Liset. Dulce was a quite girl of 14. Her sister Liset was a wonderful gal of 12 years old. She was hanging around our group like the others, but she had her eyes on one of the boys in our group...yes, Chris, the worship leader and he also preached one of the messages while we were there. She would stand in front of him and sigh..."que romantico!" He, on hearing that word "romantico" got worried. Then when I walk up to him and tell him with Liset he is ready to run. The coversation went something like this (Translated for easier reading)...
Liset: Hi
Chris: Hi
Liset: How old are you?
Chris: 15
Liset: Will you be my boyfriend?
Chris: Ummmm...ah...no
Liset: Ok, will you kiss me?
Chris: *Shocked* What? um, NO
Liset: *In a sad sort of way* Will you be my friend then?
Chris: *Still recovering* Yeah, sure
Liset: Ok, good *Shakes his hand*
Chris: yeah, I got to go help them *points at the orphanage*
Liset: Ok, bye
Chris: Bye
And that was that. I had to translate that all for them. It was soooo very funny. When the other 15 and 16 year olds caught wind of this, they in their kind and loving way only found in a high school setting, let him have it. I felt sorta bad for him...just sorta.
Dulce had never seen her cousin Liset act like that before and was quite shocked at the whole thing as well, mainly that she was 12 not that she walked up to some strange north American with blond hair and blue eyes and asked him out. In their culture its normal for the girl to make the first move. In fact she said normally the girl does all the asking at first.
I also played soccer in a ankle length skirt again. I was always put as goalie...and after the guys slammed a few balls into my body and I made a goal for my team, the game was stopped, because Walt (the other translator) was doing something else again, and I had to go translate. One of the guys I played soccer with and talked to for like two hours on the bus was Scott. He said his name in Spanish is Escutilo (don't know how to spell it) but they could not even say that, so they called Scott: Cuchillo (in English: knife)
I said I would tell a little more about the other disappearing translator, on the first day I think it was, he went "evangelizing" and did not show up when we were suppose to leave so I got the joy of going with the pastor and finding him. I had to drag along one of the guys. They put a rule out that girls were not to go anywhere alone, if there was three of them that did not matter, there HAD to be at least ONE guy. Guys are overrated. Well, I grabbed (not literally, he volunteered) and took off in a beat up van. The pastor takes off toward town, and I convince him to turn around and instead of heading to the nearest store to head towards the nearest house. We ask the guard if he has seen a couple of lost Americans wondering around. He says yes he had and they wondered *he then points down the road* We then go in and I find our team, and load them in the van, Walt then meanders toward the van and climbs aboard.
Our team had 63 students and leaders, we had three translators. Walt, Scott (not the soccer player, the long haired dude from Sacramento), and myself. We hired two more translators while we were down there, but that was still a ton of talking. Luckily I do that well. All the stories were on Daniel, and saying the King of Babylon's name in English, Nebuchadnezzar was not hard, but in Spanish, Nabucodonosor, I could not seem too. There were a few words I and the other translator got stuck on, but we worked around it. Crafts were one word it took us a while to figure out. I still don't know "encourage" but yeah, in the woman's bible study the said that word like a HUNDRED times, I think inserted the word "help" instead...Yeah, not the same, but it was the best I could come up with at the moment.
Also, Special thanks to Arturo, for making me memorize John 3:16 in Spanish. It was so very useful.
yeah, well, that's all I can think of at the moment. Oh, and Translating for a translator in front of translators at a translator's meeting was one of the hardest things I have had to do in a while.

2 Comments:

Blogger Siri Yamiko, Dark Lady said...

Ahh, good old Mexico. I have never been there, and I do not intend to go. It's hot and icky! But you had fun, so that is all that really matters here! Welcome back, amigita!

And thanks for sticking up for me, Rach, I so needed someone else to back me up. And don't let that jerk Allan's comments get you, he is only 16 and sometimes acts young. Miss you!

Tuesday, August 17, 2004 5:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"animar" = "to encourage" (por ejemplo)

--Blame Jared

Thursday, August 19, 2004 1:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home