Saturday, September 04, 2004

Camping

I went camping last night.
It was great fun. Well, parts were.
One weird thing, I do not know what it is, every time I get in a car, I am quiet. I normally get bugged for not talking during long trips. The guys kept trying to get me to talk on the four hour drive to Sacramento. But, I just do not seem to carry on good convosations in a moving car.
So, this trip not being an exception, I sat in the back next to Sarah and she read Pentateuch and I stared out the window daydreaming (about what, is for me to know and you to never find out). We arrive at like um, around 7 ish, I think, and we are the first car in. We of course make a wrong turn and everyone follows us, do a U-turn, and then accidentally go past where we are suppose to be, and then someone else passes us on the grass and takes the lead. Thank heavens I was not driving.
We get out, and We end up being short some tents. Sarah, Lydia, and I stand around a while doing nothing, then while we waited for the guys to put up a tent for us (hey, that's what a brother floor is for) the best thing happened.
So, we are camping next to a lake. Lydia starts off to check it out, and Sarah and I follow. I look down and see a plant which I ask (as a joke) "is that poison oak?" and Sarah and Lydia respond with "I am not sure". Well, I guess I am more convinceing then even I knew, because I soon had Sarah convinced that it was poison oak. I was also telling her of all the horrible stories of times I had it (I have it in my drivers license photo) and how it is sometimes hard to identify because it can look like a bush, tree, vine, or just a few leaves looking sort of like a weed and changed color from green, to red, to no leaves. So, of course, when there is a plant which I know is harmless and someone is afraid of, the best thing to do is to attempt to push them into the middle of the "poisonous" plant, right? I attempt to do that, then when failing (she had fear on her side) I then went and grabbed a few leaves and attempted to touch her with them, again failing. Lydia and I are laughing by this time, because we both know that it is not poison oak, while Sarah is screaming. I then give her the reasoning behind why its not poison oak. The plant I was holding had five points on each leaf and were not in bunches. Poison oak is three leaves together with a rounded look to the leaves. The leaf I held looked more like a maple leaf, where as the poison oak leaves look like oak leaves (wow, that was deep). Well, then Sarah was mad. She then chased me all around yelling threats to keep me running. She was mad for like hours. Lydia and I thought it was terribly funny and could not keep from laughing the whole time. I love friends.
The second joy came again, from Sarah. We must remember here though that she has only been camping once. (And I thought I had a protected and deprived childhood, lol) We go to where the tent has yet to be set up and I start pulling it out. Sarah then asks Lydia and I, "Wait, shouldn't we sweep before we put it down?" Lydia and I start laughing again. We look at her, and she is serious! We tell her that we are standing on sand, and it really doesn't need sweeping. She said it looked like cement (which in dusk, I could see it looking like that) so that comment was not so bad, but was still wonderfully funny. I would have never thought of sweeping in a hundred years!
Poor Sarah was also freaked out by the lack of soap and hand sanitizer used. She threatens me with it often, and one of these times, we were laying down in our tent for a moment and she takes offence to something I say (as usual, my mouth getting me in trouble AGAIN) and she squirts it at me, unfortunately a tinny tiny drop went into my open mouth (as said before, trouble) and I start screaming as the other drops hit my face, and arms and legs. Evil Sarah. I also had to deal with the freakingly large ants that kept finding their way into our tent. Mwhahahahahaha, the ant population will never be the same again.
At this point we start hearing a movie and realize that they set up a tarp between two trees and have hooked up a projector unit to a laptop and ran them off the power of a car and were playing a movie. So we watched a bit of um, some series, and right after some guy was murdered, they finally got the system set up and we put in the movie that somehow was picked "catch me if you can" and I like it. Even though it was freaking to suddenly realize you were out in the middle of the woods (well, Texas woods)
Then we slept. Then we woke up. I awoke at 8:30 and was requested to return to sleep, so Sarah gave me Pentateuch to read, and I fell asleep after a paragraph or so. Then had pops for breakfast. Then played card games and had hot dogs in the afternoon. (sorry for the condensed version at the end, I ran out of time.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home