Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Oh, my…a lot has been going on lately…
I started my old job again at Bamboo Giant …there are many new people working for my father now. As I go about my day, I keep seeing new people…and it seems that everyone knows me and if they do not they are told, oh, that is Rachel, the owner’s daughter. Sometimes that annoys me. I have been working there since I was fourteen doing sales and things, and I trained the managers and others, but I am not introduced as a co-worker. No, they call me the owner’s daughter, which then makes the other employees somewhat scared of me, they seem to think I have some influence over my father or the business. I guess I did and still do, but it would be nice to be known for being me or for something, I did, instead of people around me. I have always been the Gullman girl, or one of the gang, some people act if 10 kids is something impossible, and they would bug me about being from a big family when there were only six of us. They used to also call our family the Brady Bunch, because there were three boys and three girls, so they would sometimes call me the oldest girls name…which I cannot remember off the top of my head. Therefore, I am mostly called one of the kids or the owner’s daughter. Sometimes I feel as if I were alone I would be invisible. Then others tell me that I am unforgettable, but never tell me why. So, I guess people would still notice me even if I were an only child…*shutters*…and I guess my family is not THAT bad. There I go again…ranting and raving about nothing…well almost nothing…we are hiring new people tomorrow and normally when the hear I am the owner’s daughter, they try to get me to pull strings for them or something. I hate being manipulated and used by others so they get what they want. Anyways, on to a happier subject…or not

Since I got home on Saturday, I tried the whole relaxing thing…well, I tried to try it. I was allowed to “sleep in” on the weekends…I was allowed to sleep until 8 am and once even as late as 9 am. I have stayed up late watching movies and normally have a sibling or two come and join me. I have watched The Princess Diaries, Charlie’s Angels, Sweet Home Alabama, Lilo and Stitch, The Princess Bride, Gilligan’s Island, Leones de Segunda Mano (Second Hand Lion), and I think that was it… Some of them were the dumbest movies I had ever seen! I was told that Charlie’s Angels was a great movie…well, it was not anything I would write home about. The depressing thing was seeing the actress from Everafter (Which my brothers, whoops, “accidentally” misplaced, and I love and have seen at least 20 or so times and want to see it again, my sister and I have it completely memorized) in the movie Charlie’s Angels. I have plenty more movies to watch…which I may, I also have like a hundred (slight over exaggeration) books I want to read before school starts. I have started on the books that Anna loaned me already.

It is interesting talking to someone who knows nothing about computers…and sometimes its really funny. Tony, one of the guys that works for us at Symphony Products, knocked on our door to ask my father a question. I was in the room. He told my father that he was having trouble with the computer. He said, “it turned into an hourglass thing and no matter what I do I cant get it to change back into an arrow. What do I do and what happened?” My dad told him the program must not be responding and he needed to push Ctrl, Alt, Delete to fix it. He repeated my dads instructions a few times, then I showed him on the keyboard of the computer I was working at where those keys were. He said that his was way different and may not have those keys. He had a laptop. Anyways…he goes off to fix his computer and a few minutes later, he is back. He said that his computer did not have a delete key. So, not having other pressing business, I offered to go and help him. I show him where the keys are and close the non-responding program. His computer also had a window up asking if he would agree to the terms to open acrobat Reader, so I asked him if he wanted to open it…he gives me an odd look and says he doesn’t have any idea what that is. Then he tells me he just wants the computer off so he can go do something else… so I shut it down for him. He claims that he would understand Spanish (which he cannot even say one word of, he cannot even say “Hola” without messing it up) a lot easier than any of those computer books. He claims because he is fifty, he could not read the keys…riiiiiight…well, it entertained me for a little bit.

Another annoying thing happened today. I was IMing some of my friends and my brother was running the cables so we could get internet in our apartment. Well, now the entire property does not have internet. It went down in the middle of my conversations and has been down for hours…my brother cannot figure out what is wrong. So, sorry to Jared and Sarah, who I was talking to, I did not want to get offline… Another problem with not having internet is I am trying to finish the registering process for my summer classes…and I cannot get certain information without the internet…AAARRRRGGGG!!!!!!!! I miss having internet.

Working full time is also taking a lot out of me…I have been really tired lately. My mom is glad I am home…and work has got me out of running the kids to all their appointments. I have not driven in months…and I just saw the car I share with my father out in the back parking lot with its hood up. Jim our “mechanic” was messing with it…oh I hope he does not hurt it. It also turns out the suspects in the robberies of late are some of Jim’s good friends. One of his friends, a guy named Troy, has been sleeping in his van in front of our property, and sometimes he would try to get into the gates. It so seems that this place here seems to attract loosers…and (no offence to people of Minnesota) most came from Minnesota. Well, that is mainly because my cousins were from there and they invited all their friends to come strike it rich in CA…and they tried to…but all the money they earned went to buy drugs. I do not understand why people would want to get on drugs…they see others ruining their lives by using drugs then they join them…I just makes NO SENSE!!!

I got a huge bruise about the size of a quarter or so, on the back of my hand…and all I was doing was toasting some bread. Our kitchen is set up with the cabinets up high and the counter underneath. The toaster sits on the counter underneath a cabinet. Well, while my bread is in there I normally poke at it to see if it is done or not. This time I was talking a joking with my mom and sister while doing this. I reach over to check it and touch the bread the exact moment it decides to pop up. Wonderful reflexes took over and I yanked my hand away and ended up slamming it into the bottom of the cabinet…I could not feel my hand for a bit and it was oh so painful! So now I have a cute little black bruise and bump on the back of my hand…and my siblings keep teasing me about being bitten by the toaster… It may also not have been so bad if I had not done this on my lunch break and had to go and pull someone’s order, and carry fencing, and haul plants for someone…and it also happens to be the day we were rearranging the office (which I get to continue working on tomorrow)…and the other employees had issues…one did not show up until after 2 pm and the other girl was there in the morning but because she lost her wallet the day before she could not talk about anything else…and said she could not work because she could not get her mind off it so Sandie sent her home. So it was Sandie and I in the office for most of the day. I got a lunch break…but Sandie did not… Other good news…Sandie was so happy with my work and how I worked that after two days she decided to give me a raise…which is so totally cool…it was not a huge raise but it is shocking that she gave me one. I know my dad did not have anything to do with it because he has never asked my “boss” to give me a raise. So, I guess the extra effort I have been putting in was totally worth it.

Speaking of which…I need to sleep because I have work tomorrow morning…just me and the girl who was sent home today…we shall see how that goes.

Other interesting thing…I had a customer come in…and normally some personal questions are asked…I pretend and ignore the ones like… “do you have a boyfriend” but ones like “what school do you go to?” and such I normally will answer. Well, this one customer asked me which school I went to and when he heard I went to school in Texas he said… “I went to texas once because I was offered a job in Dallas. I went down there and relized that I could never live there…everyone running around in their big trucks with guns in the back…and you know those things are loaded! I could not come from Santa Cruz…” well, then he got worse…talking about how he was for peace…and gave that peace symbol. Then talked about wanting a photo of President Bush…crossed out with a large red circle with lines through it. I so wanted to tell him that the owner of the company he was buying from owned guns and was a republican…but he had just bought over $12,000.00 of bamboo and I did not want to risk making him mad or anything. So, I just changed the subject and asked him if he wanted three 25 gal. Vivax or just two… Some people just seem to have too much money… our cheapest plant that we normally have in stock is 50 dollars…and some people have no problem with paying that much. Also, buying a 10,000 dollar hedge is not uncommon…that could pay for a semester of college for me!!! It seems so wasteful. Our main competition is in Florida… so we don’t have to worry much…there are others around but they are so small we don’t worry much about them “stealing” our market… I have been selling bamboo long enough the price should not shock me…but, oh, I don’t know…its their money and they can use it however but I wish they would use it to help someone instead of gaining privacy from their neighbors.

I have a friend that is having a lot of trouble right now…I do not remember what happened to her father but he is not around and her mother is really sick. She is trying to get into school, but has no money…she wants me to support her or find someone who can but I cannot support her because I can barely cover myself through school. Therefore, if you could pray for Carolina…she has asked me to pray for her and to ask and see if I can find someone who would help her through school because she cannot do it alone. She needs financial help, and wants to become a lawyer if I understood correctly. She is Colombian and speaks only Spanish…only learned about 12 words from me…shows who was the better teacher. There is not much opportunity to work in Colombia so she cannot just go out and get a job. She was living and working (not for pay…just for room and board) at the YWAM base in Medillin, Colombia because something with her mom she was not allowed to live in the same house as her and her grandmother who raised her died this past year…leaving her mainly on her own. We did our Discipleship Training School together, she taught me Spanish and helped me while in Colombia…, and I needed it too… So, PLEASE pray for her…I want her to be able to make it into school if possible…and if that is not God’s will, pray that he will show her his will. I feel so helpless in this situation because there is nothing I can do for her. Colombians hardly ever get to travel…and I mean like never…so she cannot come to the USA to work or anything…and I cannot pay for us both…I have got to give her situation over to God because He can handle it better than I. She has asked me to find someone to support her but I do not know who to ask or how. I have never done that kind of thing before and do not know how to go about it. So pray that something will happen…PLEASE!

Well, I am off to work…tomorrow and the next day are my days off!!! I cannot wait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home