Tuesday, March 27, 2007

I thought life was hard until it got so much more difficult. Over the last week, I have had to say goodbye to 18 wonderful second graders who adored me, lose my supervising teacher, and move into a classroom of out-of-control-fourth-graders-who-know-it-and-are-PROUD-of-it.

To begin, my supervising teacher switched me out for another student to save on driving time and to stay out of her control group (for her doctorate work). Therefore, whether I like it or not, I am stuck. I loved my first supervising teacher. She made me comfortable, didn't give homework, and was as flexible as an overcooked green bean. I get switched to a supervising teacher who gives four assignments a week and has deadlines like "Midnight Saturday" instead of sometime before your first placement ends. Supposedly my new supervising teacher picked me, but...I was so happy where I was...soooo very happy. *world crashes* *sigh*

Some of my students seem to have it out for me and have decided that they want to get away with murder. I have had a student respond to my request with a "make me" and then a "no" until the other teacher punished him once for what I said, and then again for not listening to me. She said that if students did not do as I asked exactly WHEN I ask it, they will automatically get the worst punishment available to us as teachers. The boys decided to play in the bathroom and too many went in at a time. So, one of the urinals got totally messed up and when I sent a student for a custodian, she walked over looked in the bathroom and yelled, "You boys better stop taking advantage of this nice teacher. You know there are too many of you in here, and that this behavior is not allowed. Get out NOW." All this as I am standing out in the hall dying from embarrassment...telling my students they are getting away with taking advantage of me.

Well, that is enough for now. . . hopefully more to come.